From Unions for Single Payer.
Pass HR 676! Make health care a human right!
Workers, our families and our unions are waging a difficult struggle to win or to keep good health care coverage.
There is a better way. Congressman John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI) has introduced HR 676, national single payer legislation.
The single-payer financing in HR 676 saves the money to improve coverage for all of us as we expand care to those who have been left out. The bill restores free choice of physicians to patients. HR 676 would cover every person in the U. S. for all necessary medical care including prescription drugs and dental.
HR 676 ends deductibles and co-payments and saves hundreds of billions by eliminating the private health insurance industry with its high overhead and profits.
Our unions must lead the way!
We must build the movement that wins passage of HR 676 and makes health care a human right.
1,000 unions cannot be ignored!
The All Unions Committee for Single Payer Healthcare — HR 676 has undertaken the task to win the endorsement of 1,000 local unions and other labor bodies for this bold and just legislation.
We’re creating an honor roll of those unions that have endorsed HR 676. We’re asking you to join this struggle. Ask your union to endorse HR 676.
HR 676 has been endorsed by 632 union organizations. Endorsers include 153 Central Labor Councils and Area Labor Federations and 44 state AFL-CIO’s (KY, PA, CT, OH, DE, ND, WA, SC, WY, VT, FL, WI, WV, SD, NC, MO, MN, ME, AR, MD-DC, TX, IA, AZ, TN, OR, GA, OK, KS, CO, IN, AL, CA, AK, MI, MT, NE, NY, NV, MA, NJ, RI, NH, ID, & NM).
The following 22 international/national unions have endorsed HR 676: USW, UAW, NEA, ILWU, NALC, IAM, UA (Plumbers & Pipefitters), AFM (Musicians), UE, CNA/NNOC, SMWIA, IFPTE, OPEIU, UTU, SEIU, AFT, AFSCME, CSEA (California School Employees Association), UWUA, CWA, IATSE, & AFGE.
Here is a list of the cities, counties and states that have endorsed HR 676. Some of the names on the list have links to the actual resolutions.
Reasons for labor to support SP:
- End unfair advantage – non unions workers with lesser benefits
- Union contracts will be enhanced – when workers go on strike, they lose benefits. This prevents unions from fighting for more. Under HR 676, workers won’t lose benefits.
- Unions can use their bargaining power to improve pensions, sick pay, other benefits and wages. Right now struggling just to maintain health care.
- Union retirees threatened with loss of union benefits – retired workers have VEBAs that are not sufficiently funded. That threat would be gone.
- Workers are fearful of organizing a union because they don’t want to risk losing their benefits.
- Labor can earn respect and gain support by leading the battle for health care for all, not just for themselves.
- In countries that have a form of universal health care, a higher percentage of workers are in unions.